Soon after the early settlers had built cabins to shelter their families, they began to construct rude churches and school houses. The first school to be
organized in the Turkeyfoot Valley Area and in Somerset County was at the Jersey Settlement in Turkeyfoot Township in 1776. On April 1, 1834, the General Assembly of Pennsylvania passed an act know as
the “Free School Law” which provided funds for the support of a free school system.
The first school in Confluence was erected in 1871 and was used for the borough schools until 1882
, when a two-story frame building, 38 by 48 feet with a seating capactiy of two hundred, was erected at a cost of about two thousand dollars. This building was used for elementary grades and a two-year
highschool until 1924. During the construction of Confluence High school, the first and second grades of the elementary were taught in the building owned and operated by Harvey Kurtz, & Sons also in
the Gilchrist Hotel. The teachers were: Miss Fay Rush and Miss Gladys